GUERSHON OTTOLANGUI, was born on 28th April 1854 in Whitechapel, London, England, he was the youngest son of Aaron Ottolangui and Reyna nee Bensabat ( His given name is in the Bevis Marks S&P congregation’s birth register spelled this way because in Hispanic languages the letter “u” makes the “G” hard as in Ottolangui)
He was known as: George Henry Langley after he changed his name legally in Australia.
He worked as a general dealer (bookmaker) and lived at Brighton Road, St Kilda, Melbourne, Victoria.
Gershon married Annie Mary Sarah Harvie, daughter of Thomas Harvie, on 21st November 1876 in Fitzroy, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. She was born in 1857 in Sydney, Australia.
Annie Mary Sarah Harvie appeared as Harvey on their son Lewis’s birth record.
She died in 1936 in Australia. Gershon died in 1937 in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
Gershon Ottolangui known as George Henry Langley and Annie Mary Sarah Harvie had seven children, the FIRST GENERATION of their descendants:
- EDITH ETHEL OTTOLANGUI born in 1873 in Australia. She died in 1933 in Australia.
2. AARON MATTHEW OTTOLANGUI, known as Bert Langley, was born in 1881 in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Went to South Africa, joined the 1st Imperial Light Horse Regiment, fought and died in the Second Boer War
He died in action on 5th January 1901 in Naauwpoort, South Africa – the record states:
Name: Langley, M A
Originally from Windsor, VIC.
Service Number: 1011
Unit: SAMIF – 1st Imperial Light Horse
Service: South African Colonial Forces
Conflict: South Africa, 1899-1902
Date of Death: 05/01/1901
Place of Death: Naauwpoort, Transvaal.
Cause of Death: Killed in Action
Age at Death: 20
Cemetery/Memorial: Klerksdorp Cemetery
3 LEWIS GEORGE OTTOLANGUI born in 1884 in Australia. He died in an accident in Western Australia in 1900’s.
4. DAVID ERNEST OTTOLANGUI born in 1886 in Australia.
David Ernest married Veronica Smith in 1921.
She was born in 1896. She died in 1969 in Australia.
He died in 1972 in Australia.
5. RAYNOR PAULINE OTTOLANGUI was born in 1890 in Prahran, Victoria, Australia. She married Roy Leo Murphy in 1923 in Victoria, Australia and she died in 1978 in Australia.
6. AMELIA (MILLIE) MARY OTTOLANGUI born in 1893 in Prahran, Victoria, Australia.
She married Noble James Bradley on 24 Dec 1934 in Manila. He was born in Indiana, USA., and died in 1945 in Manila.
7. JOHN (JACK) JOSEPH OTTOLANGUI born in 1895 in South Yarra, Victoria, Australia
He married Dorothy Thomas in 1936 in Australia.